The man said to the gardener, “See here! For three years I have come looking for fruit on this fig tree, and still I find none. Cut it down! Why should it be wasting the soil?” Luke 13:7
One of my mother’s prize treasures started as she carefully cut a fig stem at angle, dipped it in Root-All, and placed it in a Mason jar. Days passed, as I wondered what she would do with this wilting leaf, until one day she planted it on the edge of the yard. She watered and babied it. Now, it’s a beautiful fig tree, branching out, 5 x 5. Each summer I pass by the tree and see it’s beauty, yet I’m saddened because when we’re in Georgia, the fruit is never ripe. I always ask my mother: “Why can’t the figs ripen while we’re here?” And each year she reminds me, “Patience, they’re not ready.” When I read this passage in Luke, I’m reminded of that fig tree. How I long to eat the juicy fruit, but it’s not ready. The farmer in this passage lacks patience as well. God has a plan, and often His plan don’t seem to be merging, but if we’re patient enough, we will eventually experience His plans for us.
~ Kate Copley
Let us pray God, help us to be patient today. Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment